Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Remove inclusive format (Staff: we'll rename it to "concise")
Thread poster: ibz
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:39
Greek to English
Prerogative Oct 18, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

And you remain silent as to the abuse of the format by some Proz staff. Whose interests are you really serving? Those of the staff or those of your paying members and other users? Are you a schoolmaster or a service provider? I'm not really sure any more.

Henry has made it clear, both in his posts here and in his response to a complaint of mine in another thread (which he has now locked) that:

1. it is a moderator's prerogative to put an end to a discussion if they don't like what people are saying, and
  2. changing the discussion format to the misleadingly named "Inclusive" is an appropriate way to accomplish this.

[Edited to correct hyperlink]

[Edited at 2023-10-18 06:27 GMT]

ibz
Barbara Carrara
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't agree more with Thomas and Philip Oct 18, 2023

Frankly speaking, this is a joke.
When Lucia changed the format of a very active (not abusive!) discussion about the introduction of ChatGPT into KudoZ, without answering any critical questions before doing so, there was no surge of new posters just waiting for their chance to be heard. Instead the thread went silent.

And now Henry asked Ice Scream in his own inclusive (restrictive) thread to further explain his comment - without realising that he can't do that because the li
... See more
Frankly speaking, this is a joke.
When Lucia changed the format of a very active (not abusive!) discussion about the introduction of ChatGPT into KudoZ, without answering any critical questions before doing so, there was no surge of new posters just waiting for their chance to be heard. Instead the thread went silent.

And now Henry asked Ice Scream in his own inclusive (restrictive) thread to further explain his comment - without realising that he can't do that because the limit of postings is already reached? Oh well ...

Please don't claim this is for the benefit of translators and read what people say, have a close look at the comments to ChatGPT's answers and maybe even read the following article (which is actually very funny):
https://apnews.com/article/artificial-intelligence-chatgpt-fake-case-lawyers-d6ae9fa79d0542db9e1455397aef381c

[Edited at 2023-10-18 06:43 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Rosa Fontana

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:39
Member (2008)
Italian to English
. Oct 18, 2023

5148f0wpuSL

Thomas T. Frost

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:39
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
You win the Internet, Philip Oct 18, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

Did Proz's forum mods quit the job, and you are going to reply to all the open questions?

Perhaps Henry is like one of those periodical cicadas that stay underground for years, then emerge for a few days to engage in furious propagation, before disappearing again.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
It's over Oct 18, 2023

https://hmpg.net/

P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Treat people as good as you are" Oct 18, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

And you need to stop that kind of comments.

Rude

I'm not sure I like your tone.

Isn't calling someone out for rudeness another example of a rude action? If I may ask...
There's nothing rude about what I wrote above. That thread you mentioned is perfectly in line with Proz's mission.
We all have doubts and it's totally acceptable to seek help from our colleagues. The author of that thread just condensed it into a single one.
You're free not to like that "format", but implying the subtitling topic should be "restrictive" is the same as limiting learning.
And now please let me tell you something...
Many situations require an aggressive approach, but I personally avoid this as much as possible, since this screams immaturity and more if acted in front of people.
So, because of that, I'm convinced that every choice we make has consequences and we can see changes and effects on how people perceive us in future.
I've a good memory, and I've never been rude to any member on this site, including you.
I believe in the saying "Don't treat people as bad as they are, but treat them as good as you are". Sometimes I think I could be harmed for thinking like that.
I hope you are sure now.

P.S.: About those images with tea, kettle and more. Did you know that we also have funny idioms with these terms that could adapt very well to this context?

Thomas T. Frost
Baran Keki

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:39
SITE FOUNDER
Closing out this topic Oct 18, 2023

OK, we'll rename "inclusive" to "concise", thanks for the suggestion.

Obviously we don't have any intention of getting rid of the "format", which we and others use when we feel it is appropriate. I'm closing out this thread.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remove inclusive format (Staff: we'll rename it to "concise")

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »