Thread poster: Marie Louise Åbom
Min Xuanping
Min Xuanping  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
My daily subtitling capacity is 25 minutes, how about yours? Mar 28, 2022

As a Chinese, I am not happy with this rate as well, but recently I lost a lot of work because of my insistence on the similar rate. If we all insist on a fair price, we can change the adverse situation. We need say "no" to translation companies when we must. However, no company would pay for our low efficiency, that is why I am asking for your capacity.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
@Min Xuanping Mar 28, 2022

Taking from a thread we just had recently, I have learned that discussing our rates in public may not be a very good idea. I think the same can be applied to our daily translation capacities.

Clément Marquet
Clément Marquet
Local time: 17:01
Member (2021)
Chinese to French
+ ...
And what about the rates for subtitling review? Apr 22, 2022

I usually offer proofreading rates that are half the rates for translation. So what about subtitling review? As the rates are already very difficult to negociate, I guess half price for review is very low.

Any experience on this?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:01
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Subtitle review rates Jul 11, 2022

Clément Marquet wrote:

I usually offer proofreading rates that are half the rates for translation. So what about subtitling review? As the rates are already very difficult to negociate, I guess half price for review is very low.

Any experience on this?

Yes, half your translation rate sounds fair. However this strongly depends on the quality of the subtitles. If you have to adjust just about every time code, or if there are too many misconception in the translation itself, then an hourly review rate is advisable instead of a per minute rate.

Julie Høj
Julie Høj  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Not a joke - unfortunately. Jul 13, 2022

I recently received an enquiry regarding an ENG->DA subtitling project with a budget of $35/hr.
Not per hour worked, per hour of audio, working out to a grand total of $0.583 per minute. I honestly do not understand how/why they thought that this would fly.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is a joke Jul 13, 2022

Julie Høj wrote:

I recently received an enquiry regarding an ENG->DA subtitling project with a budget of $35/hr.
Not per hour worked, per hour of audio, working out to a grand total of $0.583 per minute. I honestly do not understand how/why they thought that this would fly.

It will take 20 minutes of my work time to translate one video minute, which means I will make less than $1.8 per hour working for this client.

Julie Høj
veranillo

Zorica Mihailovic
Zorica Mihailovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2019)
English to Serbian
+ ...
quote for subtitling from srt file Aug 11, 2022

A nice day to everyone,
I am a professional translator but I have translated subtitles several years ago. Now a client is asking for my quotes for translating from German into Serbian:
a.) from a SRT as text file
b.) only from a SRT file (with text and time) and
c.) for a Hardcoding?

I already explained that I can offer translation without time coding and now I am not sure how my reply/offer should look like...

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Subtitling rates Aug 13, 2022

Zorica Mihailovic wrote:

a.) from a SRT as text file
b.) only from a SRT file (with text and time) and
c.) for a Hardcoding?

a) I have never been asked to work on this kind of assignment before, so can’t help you with that. Sorry.
b) It would be your rate to translate subtitles from a master template.
c) I would add 20% surcharge to my standard rate.

Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. Burning in subtitles to the video can be quite taxing to your hardware, especially so if the video output quality needs to be in full HD and above. It’ll draw more power and there might be an increase in your monthly bill. Also, if you’re doing this often, it’ll shorten the lifespan of your hardware. Put all these operational costs to your conditions, then you can calculate a fair rate for this service.

I suggest you to ask this question in this megathread as well. This is where the cooler ProZians hang out.

[Edited at 2022-08-14 07:06 GMT]

Aristeu Filho
Aristeu Filho
Brazil
Local time: 23:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The joke has evolved. Aug 29, 2022

Thayenga wrote:

2.50$ per minute is a joke. The absolute minimum should be 5 - 6$, that is, at least twice as much.

I wars trying to find a fair rate to work, but it seems almost impossible.

And today I've received an offer from $0.75 per minute, and I'm still trying to figure out whether to cry or laugh.

Julie Høj

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
That's a good one Nov 25, 2022

Aristeu Filho wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

2.50$ per minute is a joke. The absolute minimum should be 5 - 6$, that is, at least twice as much.

I wars trying to find a fair rate to work, but it seems almost impossible.

And today I've received an offer from $0.75 per minute, and I'm still trying to figure out whether to cry or laugh.

I suggest you laugh until you cry. This is not a joke, this rate is plain ridiculous. When receiving such insulting offers and I feel like it, I reply that I can unfortunately not afford to work for this rate and still survive. Of course I never receive a reply. Good, I'd say because it keeps me from wasting my time.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Annoying Nov 25, 2022

The most annoying thing is that some of these agencies refused to disclose their rates before you passed their poorly-designed tests. And after you indeed passed those tests, they ended up offering you peanuts for tight deadlines. What a big waste of my time.

Thayenga
Jason Franzman
Minh Nguyen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per minute

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »