unescaped double quote - Warning on csv file, how to fix this??
Thread poster: Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 16, 2021

Hello Trados Experts!

I have a very large excel file (DE > PT) I have to edit, and I would like to convert it on a bilingual CSV I can then import to Trados to work better, because over 300 K to be edited on Excel is insane.

I have tried it all, but I continue to get an error message about 'double quote character with unescaped field on line xxx row xx"

Row, line doesn't matter because once I delete a row, it will prompt the error on another row and I have
... See more
Hello Trados Experts!

I have a very large excel file (DE > PT) I have to edit, and I would like to convert it on a bilingual CSV I can then import to Trados to work better, because over 300 K to be edited on Excel is insane.

I have tried it all, but I continue to get an error message about 'double quote character with unescaped field on line xxx row xx"

Row, line doesn't matter because once I delete a row, it will prompt the error on another row and I have over 20K rows.

I searched about it, and saw something about adding "" instead of "". I replaced all quotes " for "" did not work. German source has indeed sometimes excerpts with quotes (the typical German quotation or the French style or the straights ones). Of course regarding style they are needed.

I thought I could replace them for something else, and then once I am done, I can just discard the modified source column. Still, even replacing all quotes, I get this error.

Untitled

As I am not sure what kind of quote is creating the problem, maybe the problem lies somewhere else??

I appreciate any help on this nightmare... I use Trados 2021.
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can open bi-lingual Excel file in Studio Jul 16, 2021

See the YouTube tutorial:
https://youtu.be/BpXwFYrt9Ko

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is an already bilingual file... Jul 16, 2021

Thanks, but that only shows how I could open an Excel for translation.

I already have the bilingual file on Excel, that means there is a column A source and a column B target, and my job is to Edit the target. That is why I was generating a csv that could be open on Trados, where I could then have both source and target, and I could then edit the target.

The method you shown will result in a new file to translate, and the target is empty...

I wonder that in
... See more

I already have the bilingual file on Excel, that means there is a column A source and a column B target, and my job is to Edit the target. That is why I was generating a csv that could be open on Trados, where I could then have both source and target, and I could then edit the target.

The method you shown will result in a new file to translate, and the target is empty...

I wonder that in that case Trados triggers no warning, so the problem lies on quotes on csv as I suspected but have no clue how to fix it.
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The instructions show how to open a bi-lingual file Jul 16, 2021

Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner wrote:

Did you watch the video? They show how to open bi-lingual file, and have the source column open as source and the target column open as target in Studio.

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Jul 16, 2021

Hi, yes, I did and followed the instructions on specifying columns under Bilingual Excel settings, In the end, Trados generated a file with the source populated and target in blank, like a normal bilingual file to be translated, not as a file already translated with both target and source populated. So at least for me it did not work... but thanks once again.

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I just did a test and it worked perfectly Jul 16, 2021

This is strange, I just did a test and it worked perfectly.

Are you sure you un-checked the other Excel file types and verified that "Source column:" and "Target column:" fit your source and target column?

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Jul 16, 2021

Yes, but I will try again changing other options below, like whether 'confirm existing translations', this was by default unmarked, maybe that is the case... But I am sure to have followed the steps...Thank you!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:21
English to Russian
Make sure that Jul 16, 2021

the Bilingual Excel file type goes above other Excel options in Project Settings - File Types. Also, disable the other available Excel options except "Bilingual Excel".
Remember that there are two locations for these settings: Options (for future projects) and Project Settings (for the active project).

The best way to work with bilingual Excel files is creating a dedicated project with only 2 File Types options selected: sdlxliff (you cannot uncheck it even if you try) and Bil
... See more
the Bilingual Excel file type goes above other Excel options in Project Settings - File Types. Also, disable the other available Excel options except "Bilingual Excel".
Remember that there are two locations for these settings: Options (for future projects) and Project Settings (for the active project).

The best way to work with bilingual Excel files is creating a dedicated project with only 2 File Types options selected: sdlxliff (you cannot uncheck it even if you try) and Bilingual Excel. With this scenario you will not need to move File Types up and down. You will be able just to add and delete files to/from the same permanent project as necessary.
2021-07-16_170403

[Edited at 2021-07-16 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
How to escape a quote Jul 16, 2021

Just read your post more carefully. Actually, you don't need to convert your Excel file into CSV. This error only occurs with tab delimited files (which is CSV) and it has nothing to do with bilingual excel. If you really need a CSV file, add \ before all quotation marks (replace " with \").
For example, if you have now: "text between quotation marks", change it to: \"text between quotation marks\". However I don't think you need CSV to do your task.

[Edited at 2021-07-16 14:52 GMT]

Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 16, 2021

Thank you! I was looking to understand how to escape a quote so to avoid the prompt error. In the end, I tried again the steps of the tutorial indicated by @Yossi, and this time I did check the option "Confirm existing translation". That way, Trados generated a bilingual with target filled in correctly from the Excel file!

Many thanks to both of you!

Stepan Konev
Yossi Rozenman

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Great Jul 16, 2021

Glad to know you managed to sort it out. Just a minor remark: "Confirm existing translation" simply confirms target segments if they are already populated in your Excel file. I mean it was something else that you did correctly according to the tutorial shared by Yossi, and not because you checked "Confirm existing translation". Sometimes target cells may contain incomplete or wrong translations, in which case you don't check the "Confirm existing translation" option. This choice will not prevent... See more
Glad to know you managed to sort it out. Just a minor remark: "Confirm existing translation" simply confirms target segments if they are already populated in your Excel file. I mean it was something else that you did correctly according to the tutorial shared by Yossi, and not because you checked "Confirm existing translation". Sometimes target cells may contain incomplete or wrong translations, in which case you don't check the "Confirm existing translation" option. This choice will not prevent you from creating a Bilingual Excel project.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unescaped double quote - Warning on csv file, how to fix this??

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »