Trados not saving unconfirmed segments, asks "Do want to reconvert source document into SDLXLIFF"
Thread poster: Christina B.
Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:37
French to German
+ ...
Jan 9, 2022

Hello all,
when I try to re-open the document I have been working on, Trados asks "Do you want to reconvert the source document into SDLXLIFF before opening it" (probably not the exact wording in English, I use the German inferface).
When I click "no", the source document opens in Word. When I click "yes", the editor view opens but without any translations! When I click through the segments, the ones that have been translated and confirmed are filled in, but all the unconfirmed segem
... See more
Hello all,
when I try to re-open the document I have been working on, Trados asks "Do you want to reconvert the source document into SDLXLIFF before opening it" (probably not the exact wording in English, I use the German inferface).
When I click "no", the source document opens in Word. When I click "yes", the editor view opens but without any translations! When I click through the segments, the ones that have been translated and confirmed are filled in, but all the unconfirmed segements are missing! (I had saved everything.) I seem to have lost several hours of work ...

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?
Thanks in advance for any ideas

Christina
Collapse

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 02:37
English to Russian
+ ...
How are you trying to reopen it? Jan 9, 2022

Did you create a project and manually save it, and if so, did you then go to the target language subfolder of the project folder to reopen? Or did you go for Translate Single Document? In this case, you'd have to save the xliff manually before closing and specify the saving path because Trados doesn't seem to autosave anything when working under that option, and you can lose many hours of work by failing to save manually (this happened to me a lot due to distractions or Trados glitches, so now I... See more
Did you create a project and manually save it, and if so, did you then go to the target language subfolder of the project folder to reopen? Or did you go for Translate Single Document? In this case, you'd have to save the xliff manually before closing and specify the saving path because Trados doesn't seem to autosave anything when working under that option, and you can lose many hours of work by failing to save manually (this happened to me a lot due to distractions or Trados glitches, so now I use every precaution to make sure this doesn't happen)Collapse

reem mkadmh

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:37
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 9, 2022

Thank you for you reply!
I used Translate single document and saved it manually as I use to do. I never had this problem before. When I reopen the document (both from inside Trados and from the project folder) it opens as if it was completely new, even the TMs and Termbase that I had connected to it are no longer connected.
Perhaps I'll just try to rename the source, save it in another folder and have another go...

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 02:37
English to Russian
+ ...
If you had a few hours' worth of work in unconfirmed segments... Jan 9, 2022

... then it's probably gone for good (at least I've never seen workable solutions to this type of lost work problems); confirmed segments are recoverable via pre-translate with the TM re-connected, but sometimes, especially with large and messy TMs, even that option fails to run as expected. Unconfirmed segments don't get saved anywhere as long as it's a glitch that causes the document to close, because the standard procedure where you're prompted to save the file and click 'yes' doesn't usuall... See more
... then it's probably gone for good (at least I've never seen workable solutions to this type of lost work problems); confirmed segments are recoverable via pre-translate with the TM re-connected, but sometimes, especially with large and messy TMs, even that option fails to run as expected. Unconfirmed segments don't get saved anywhere as long as it's a glitch that causes the document to close, because the standard procedure where you're prompted to save the file and click 'yes' doesn't usually result in any work being lostCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados not saving unconfirmed segments, asks "Do want to reconvert source document into SDLXLIFF"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »