Sansoni - Great Dictionaries
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
Italian to English
May 17, 2010

I have been using the Italian-English version of the Sansoni Great Dictionarires series edited by Vladimiro Macchi for a very long time. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this company is still in existance and if this dictionary is still published, or if there is an on-line version now available. I have searched and just can't seem to find it. I find lots of hits for the pared-down version for schools but not for this enormous encyclopedic dictionary. If any of you out there are more saavy... See more
I have been using the Italian-English version of the Sansoni Great Dictionarires series edited by Vladimiro Macchi for a very long time. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this company is still in existance and if this dictionary is still published, or if there is an on-line version now available. I have searched and just can't seem to find it. I find lots of hits for the pared-down version for schools but not for this enormous encyclopedic dictionary. If any of you out there are more saavy than me I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
TIA Eileen
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Online version May 17, 2010

I frequently use the online version of the Italian - German Sansoni. There is also an English - Italian version available: http://dizionari.corriere.it/

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... May 17, 2010

Ihave found this, but it is the on-line version of the reduced version of the dictionary. The paper version I have is huge... and I mean really huge over 1500 pages each Italian-English and English-Italian. I do know for a fact that there is a version of this for German as well. However, the on-line one is a copy of the much smaller version they sell for schools. I have tried it but I prefer the Hoepli dictionary. There is one for german as well ... See more
Ihave found this, but it is the on-line version of the reduced version of the dictionary. The paper version I have is huge... and I mean really huge over 1500 pages each Italian-English and English-Italian. I do know for a fact that there is a version of this for German as well. However, the on-line one is a copy of the much smaller version they sell for schools. I have tried it but I prefer the Hoepli dictionary. There is one for german as well http://dizionari.hoepli.it just in case you are interested.Collapse

Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Collins? May 17, 2010

As far as I know, Collins are in partnership with Sansoni, as they are with Robert for French.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Sansoni-Italian-Dictionary-unabridged/dp/0007195893#

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
German to English
Looks like Collins May 17, 2010

I've always used Collins, the bigger the better. This looks the same as your Sansoni -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Complete-Unabridged-German-Dictionary/dp/0007252757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274123363&sr=1-1

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sansoni - Great Dictionaries

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »