Off topic: 1000+ English books (in Spain) need a new home
Thread poster: Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:14
Apr 20, 2011

I have a friend, Sheila Eames, who has to leave Spain and return to England for good, with her husband, who is in poor health.

She currently lives in Carboneras is a small town (or large village) in Almeria Province, in South Eastern Spain.

Her problem is that she has a mountain of books (in English) that she has to get rid of fairly quickly. She will be returning to Spain in late April/early May 2011 for 10-14 days to pack up their belongings. She cannot take the books
... See more
I have a friend, Sheila Eames, who has to leave Spain and return to England for good, with her husband, who is in poor health.

She currently lives in Carboneras is a small town (or large village) in Almeria Province, in South Eastern Spain.

Her problem is that she has a mountain of books (in English) that she has to get rid of fairly quickly. She will be returning to Spain in late April/early May 2011 for 10-14 days to pack up their belongings. She cannot take the books with her.

She would welcome anyone who is interested in taking them away! It would certainly be better than taking them to the rubbish dump.

She and I were talking about a particular dictionary, which I have asked for, but there are others, very interesting, like a wonderful old book of synonyms and antonyms (several of those), and books about the construction of languages, common roots, etc.

Most of the books are non-fiction, all subjects from religious themes to philosophy, to travel, to Africa and Rhodesia, gardening, cooking, lifestyle, crafts, art, music, to aliens and "other world" theories. And a lot more.

At least 1000 books in total.

If you are interested, please contact Sheila at [email protected]

As far as I know, her Spanish is limited, so enquiries in English would be appreciated.

Alternatively, you may contact me via ProZ.
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:14
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Apr 20, 2011

If you are interested in any of these books, you will need to make arrangements to collect them yourself.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 14:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
How sad for your friend Apr 20, 2011

I am currently holidaying near where my parents settled many years ago in the Levante area, and am reminded by your posting about the many of my parents' friends who end up returning to the UK due to ill health. In contrast my parents, who have not been enjoying good health for some time now, would never budge, having had so much good treatment by the excellent health system and their local pretty much state of the art hospital. They do have the advantage of speaking good Spanish and me on hand ... See more
I am currently holidaying near where my parents settled many years ago in the Levante area, and am reminded by your posting about the many of my parents' friends who end up returning to the UK due to ill health. In contrast my parents, who have not been enjoying good health for some time now, would never budge, having had so much good treatment by the excellent health system and their local pretty much state of the art hospital. They do have the advantage of speaking good Spanish and me on hand - well, only 600 kms away ;-( ) when things get really bad (like my mother coming round from anaesthetic recently and being very rude in several languages to the nurses!).

But, after that musing, to return to your posting, and to try and offer a practical angle....

It will be very time consuming for your friend if people start making individual requests, not to mention upsetting, although a booklover likes their books to find good hands which will treasure them. What would be great would be if a library of some kind could take it all as a job lot.

Seur and other couriers, can be instructed to go and pick up parcels, "a portes debidos", ie the receiver will pay the courier fees on reception. They take along large plastic envelopes or similar to enclose what is being sent. Worth taking a look at the various web pages.

Best of luck.

Noni
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1000+ English books (in Spain) need a new home

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »