Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Multifultor is the new IntelliWebSearch.
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2011

In case you haven't heard of it yet, I just discovered a free tool called "Multifultor" (made by Rolf Keller), which is basically just like IntelliWebSearch, but it actually works with every single search site I have used it with so far.

Whereas IntelliWebSearch had quite a few problems with websites that use different GET/PUSH type stuff, and so I immediately uninstalled it, Multifultor works flawlessly!

The wizard basically does everything for you: all you ne
... See more
In case you haven't heard of it yet, I just discovered a free tool called "Multifultor" (made by Rolf Keller), which is basically just like IntelliWebSearch, but it actually works with every single search site I have used it with so far.

Whereas IntelliWebSearch had quite a few problems with websites that use different GET/PUSH type stuff, and so I immediately uninstalled it, Multifultor works flawlessly!

The wizard basically does everything for you: all you need to do is copy/paste the initial website url into the program and you're good to go! No more fiddling with preferences, etc.

Information here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/help_/message/30290

http://www.tw-h.de/wiki/index.php?title=Kostenfreie_Arbeitshilfen_für_den_Übersetzeralltag#Multifultor

Michael
Collapse

Paula Oriani
Paula Oriani  Identity Verified

English to French
+ ...
How does it work? Aug 26, 2011

Hi Michael,

I am new to these tools, how does Multifultor work? I do not even know Intelliweb. Feel free to answer using the "for nerds" approach
Cheers
Paula

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 15:49
Member (2011)
English to German
Thanks for the link! Aug 26, 2011

Wow, and there's so much more to find here:

http://www.tw-h.de/

Thanks for the link!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How Multifultur works... Aug 26, 2011

Basically, Multifultor is a program that sit in your tray and lets you select any word or phrase in your CAT tool (or in Word, or in any program in Windows), and when you click a special shortcut, the program automatically opens up a tabbed internet browser window with your search term already entered into as many of your favourite online and offline search sites as you took the time to enter into the program settings of Multifultur.

Michael

[Edited at 2011-08-26 11:06 GMT]

Paula Oriani
Paula Oriani  Identity Verified

English to French
+ ...
In English? Sep 7, 2011

One last question Michael. Is the interface in German or in English? If in German, I will have some trouble installing it I guess..
Paula

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
German & English Sep 7, 2011

The interface is in German or English, you can choose.

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Primitive Sep 19, 2012

In CafeTran, you can search in any website, straight from the search box. So type or select a word in the source panel, and it will automatically search the websites - including but not limited to IATE, WebiText, KudoZ etc. - in the CafTran UI and your TMs and glossaries.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 21:49
English to German
What do you mean by "primitive"? Sep 20, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Subject: Primitive

What do you mean by "primitive"? And who or what is primitive?

[Bearbeitet am 2012-09-20 11:02 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Primitive (pt 2) Sep 20, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:
What do you mean by "primitive"? And who or what is primitive?

Well, if I want to look up something when I'm working in my CAT tool, I want to be able to search all resources at the same time. In CafeTran, I can search within my TMs, term databases, and glossaries (all of them unlimited, priority settings possible), in as many Internet resources as I think are useful, all within the CafeTran UI, without activating anything else. OS X allows me - using "Services" - to search all my local dictionaries at the same time. So by selecting one term in CafeTran, I can

-search my TMs (unlimited number)
-search my terminology databases (unlimited number)
-search my glossaries (unlimited number) (all of the above with assigning priorities)
-search GT, MS Translator previously called Bing Translator), MyMemory
-search as many other Internet resources as I find useful
-search my locally installed dictionaries (unlimited number)

So yes, other solutions are "primitive" in my eyes.

Cheers,

Hans

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Did you ever try out what you are just judging? Sep 20, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

So yes, other solutions are "primitive" in my eyes.

The topic line of this thread reads "Multifultor is the new IntelliWebSearch". No other solutions have been mentioned so far. So you called IntelliWebSearch and Multifultor "primitive".

Ok, of course you may have any opinion you like. But what about simple facts?

IntelliWebSearch as well as Multifultor is able to search several online and local resources simultaneously.

Additionally IntelliWebSearch and Multifultor include wizards that are able to get the necessary settings for web resources automatically. OTOH, your CafeTran favourite offers no such wizard. Thus, in many cases you have to ask the software's author or a friendly colleague in a web forum for the "secret" settings needed to access the XYZ resource for the language pair A/B.

AFAIK you are using an Apple system. IntelliWebSearch and Multifultor run under Windows only ... honi soit qui mal y pense.

Roger McKeon

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Switching from IWS to Multifultor Sep 21, 2012

Hello,

having problems with IWS in MemoQ (sort of clipboard isssue) I'd like to switch to Multifultor. Is there a way to import my IWS search settings into MF?
Probably not, so what would be the easiest way to bring my favourite search functions into MF.

Thanks in advance for any hint

Noe

[Edited at 2012-09-21 11:23 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I tried IWS (years ago), not Multifultor Sep 21, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:
IntelliWebSearch as well as Multifultor is able to search several online and local resources simultaneously.

Yes, but not within the CAT tool UI. Whereas I can search all of the above in one go in the same UI (with the exception of the locally installed dictionaries, but that's an argument that doesn't count for people who still use Windows anyway).
Additionally IntelliWebSearch and Multifultor include wizards that are able to get the necessary settings for web resources automatically. OTOH, your CafeTran favourite offers no such wizard. Thus, in many cases you have to ask the software's author or a friendly colleague in a web forum for the "secret" settings needed to access the XYZ resource for the language pair A/B.

No you can look them up yourself, although I wasn't aware of that when I wrote my blog entry. Anyway, setting up a site is a one time activity, so it's not very relevant compared to the benefits you'll get later.
AFAIK you are using an Apple system. IntelliWebSearch and Multifultor run under Windows only ... honi soit qui mal y pense.

Apart from simultaneously searching your local dictionaries, all CafeTran features I mentioned above also work under Linux, and even under Windows. No OS limits.
IntelliWebSearch and Multifultor run under Windows only

And CafeTran runs under all common OSs.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Migration to Multifultor - an easy task Sep 21, 2012

Noe Tessmann wrote:

having problems with IWS in MemoQ (sort of clipboard isssue) I'd like to switch to Multifultor. Is there a way to import my IWS search settings into MF?
Probably not, so what would be the easiest way to bring my favourite search functions into MF.

Download Multifultir.zip, extract it and read Instructions_EN.pdf. On pages 8 & 9 you'll find a step-by-step list.

Actually you'll have to enter something like www.mydictionary.com, all the rest will done by the seamlessly integrated wizard. Presumably, this will work for 90 % or more of your web dictionaries.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
primitive is in the eye of the beholder Sep 21, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:

Yes, but not within the CAT tool UI. Whereas I can search all of the above in one go in the same UI (with the exception of the locally installed dictionaries, but that's an argument that doesn't count for people who still use Windows anyway).
(...)

I think you will find that what Meta Arcadia means by 'primitive' is: 'people that still use Windows'. Incidentally, I used to have a Mac, but switched to Windows because I think PCs are for getting actual work done. Macs are expensive eye candy, AFAIAC. Also, there is no way in hell I am going to run all of my important work programs inside of a different OS, virtually.

And who cares where the search window pops up; inside your CAT tool, or in a dedicated browser window? I actually prefer mine not to be inside my CAT tool, because it just steals space from what you are working on. Neither is more advanced or primitive, just different.

Furthermore, I tried CafeTran, but it was unable to handle VERY LARGE TMs and TBs properly. In memoQ, I can work with MASSIVE databases, and the program is still extremely responsive. No waiting for concordance searches or anything.

Michael

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Searching for several words Sep 21, 2012

I decided to give Multifultor a try. But when I search for multiple words, it searches only for the first word of several words I marked most of the time. Sometimes it works, though. Could anyone give me an idea why this happens?

I also couldn't get Wikipedia to work with it. Any ideas?

As for the rest, I am impressed. A very useful, time-saving tool! A big "Thank you!" to the developer. This makes my life a lot more easy.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multifultor is the new IntelliWebSearch.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »