PT-EN Legal Translation Course & resources for English and Brazilian Portuguese legalese phrases
Thread poster: Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips
Seth Phillips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:51
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2014

Oi a todos! I am looking for a Portuguese-English legal translation course available online (comparing US and Brazilian legal systems), with overlap of business / finance / economics.

I have heard of Prolingua (http://www.prolingua.com/translationcourse.html ), but it supposedly requires high level of Portuguese. I have been in search of one (without that requirement), compari
... See more
Oi a todos! I am looking for a Portuguese-English legal translation course available online (comparing US and Brazilian legal systems), with overlap of business / finance / economics.

I have heard of Prolingua (http://www.prolingua.com/translationcourse.html ), but it supposedly requires high level of Portuguese. I have been in search of one (without that requirement), comparing US and Brazilian legal systems, their respective histories and specialized terminology used) and with overlap of business / finance / economics and ideally 3-8 months. I know University of Chicago offers a translation certificate program that features Portuguese>English, but it's really expensive! Any course out that is online, inexpensive and a good fit for intermediate-level Portuguese learners?

I live in Mexico and a PT/EN legal translation course is scare here, so I am searching for options available online. Meanwhile, I would also appreciate any recommendation of textbooks / reading materials / resources for English and Brazilian Portuguese legalese phrases/terms. Antecipadamente, obrigado!

[Edited at 2014-03-15 21:24 GMT]
Collapse

Martin Riordan
Martin Riordan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:51
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Inglês Jurídico - Tradução e Terminologia Sep 7, 2014

Hi Seth,

I bought the recently published book (April, 2014) above, by Luciana Carvalho Fonseca. It is not a dictionary, but gives good general information and comments on the correspondence between legal terms in PT-BR and EN-US.

You can read all about it and also find a lot of useful information on the author's site: www.tradjuris.com.br

If you want to buy the book and
... See more
Hi Seth,

I bought the recently published book (April, 2014) above, by Luciana Carvalho Fonseca. It is not a dictionary, but gives good general information and comments on the correspondence between legal terms in PT-BR and EN-US.

You can read all about it and also find a lot of useful information on the author's site: www.tradjuris.com.br

If you want to buy the book and need any local help, just let me know.

Best wishes

Martin Riordan - Santa Rosa/RS - Brazil
Collapse

Seth Phillips
United States
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why thank you Martin! Sep 11, 2014

That's a book that I've been searching for. It sounds similar to the one for Spanish "El Inglés Jurídico". I definitely would be interested to know how the book can be purchased for delivery in North America. I actually attended Luciana's seminar "Cultural Clashes in Legal Translation and Interpreting" at 2013 ATA Conference, so I imagine the book may get featured at this year's ATA conference taking place in Chicago.

Also, now that you mention that you live in Brazil, are there
... See more
That's a book that I've been searching for. It sounds similar to the one for Spanish "El Inglés Jurídico". I definitely would be interested to know how the book can be purchased for delivery in North America. I actually attended Luciana's seminar "Cultural Clashes in Legal Translation and Interpreting" at 2013 ATA Conference, so I imagine the book may get featured at this year's ATA conference taking place in Chicago.

Also, now that you mention that you live in Brazil, are there translation schools in Rio, Sao Paulo or Belo Horizonte that offer training with a strong Portuguese>English core?
Collapse

Jing LI
Jing LI
China
Local time: 23:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
great question Oct 5, 2014

Hi, thank you for posting this thread. as a native Chinese speaker I am also interested in legal translation/interpretation courses or prep courses in Brazil or Portugal.

For example, I heard SP law school is great but does it offer Legal Translation courses or prep courses as well? any other options in Rio?
And how about U-Coimbra, do they offer legal translation degrees or crash courses?

Still doing my research on this. Here to share what i got so far and see
... See more
Hi, thank you for posting this thread. as a native Chinese speaker I am also interested in legal translation/interpretation courses or prep courses in Brazil or Portugal.

For example, I heard SP law school is great but does it offer Legal Translation courses or prep courses as well? any other options in Rio?
And how about U-Coimbra, do they offer legal translation degrees or crash courses?

Still doing my research on this. Here to share what i got so far and seeking further advice. Cheers.
Collapse

Seth Phillips
United States
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU now offering PT>EN Jan 12, 2015

Just a couple months I received good news that NYU is finally starting the PT>EN certificate program this coming semester, first with the required intro course and then the PT>EN Legal Translation I (which I'm excited for as it's one my fields) next summer. Here is the contact email: [email protected].

I'm officially enrolled for the PT>EN Intro course, and, after so after a long wait for this to finally happen, pre
... See more
Just a couple months I received good news that NYU is finally starting the PT>EN certificate program this coming semester, first with the required intro course and then the PT>EN Legal Translation I (which I'm excited for as it's one my fields) next summer. Here is the contact email: [email protected].

I'm officially enrolled for the PT>EN Intro course, and, after so after a long wait for this to finally happen, pretty anxious to get on board. I imagine the PT>EN course offerings will be extremely limited at least for the next few semesters but it's a start. Though, there are a few interesting non-language specific courses to consider which of course can fulfill certain requirements of any translation certificate offered by NYU. I will be going for both SP>EN and PT>EN translation certificates. But then again my hope is that my Portuguese to catch up with my Spanish.

Martin - have you ever considered giving translations classes? I think NYU is looking for more PT>EN instructors, especially those with a couple decades of translation experience. Considering your experience, it would be a treat to have you as instructor. On another note, Luciana Carvalho Fonseca for whatever reason didn't have her book featured at ATA 2014 Conference, so now I am looking to find a way to obtain her book - I'll contact you via Proz.com email.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PT-EN Legal Translation Course & resources for English and Brazilian Portuguese legalese phrases

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »