Thread poster: Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 05:51
English to German
Oct 12, 2014

Hi fellow translators,

the tango aficionado in my life wants a glossary/dictionary of tango terms in Spanish-English-German (or at least two of those languages), online or printed, free or at a price, to make the most of international tango workshops. Can someone point me to such resources?

I'm just trying to be nice and get one for him, I don't do tango or tango terminology myself -- so don't be disappointed if I just nod and grin...
See more
Hi fellow translators,

the tango aficionado in my life wants a glossary/dictionary of tango terms in Spanish-English-German (or at least two of those languages), online or printed, free or at a price, to make the most of international tango workshops. Can someone point me to such resources?

I'm just trying to be nice and get one for him, I don't do tango or tango terminology myself -- so don't be disappointed if I just nod and grin

Have a great day,
Ricki
Collapse

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Wie wär's mit Googlen? Oct 13, 2014

Die Suchanfrage" Tango Begriffe" ergibt eine ganze Menge brauchbarer Ergebnisse.
z.B. http://www.el-duende.de/Tango_Begriffe.htm

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
The problem with googling Oct 13, 2014

Thank you Anette,

my problem is that as I don't dance myself, I have no idea how detailed or how complete this can get, so I would also like some input from people who are actually involved with tango. The list you are linking to looks interesting, but also mighty short.

Have a nice week,
Ricki

Carlopez
Carlopez
English to French
Tango glossaries Oct 13, 2014

Hi Ricki,

There are a few tango dance glossaries available here:
http://www.lexicool.com/online-dictionary.asp?FKW=tango

All the best, Carl

Sandra Juric
Sandra Juric  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
The list seems great! Oct 13, 2014

Hi Ricki!

I'm quite familiar with the tango circle, personally and professionally. In my opinion, the list from El Duende is pretty good and I believe that after learning those terms (or even much less) it would be no problem whatsoever to participate in a workshop or a seminar and understand it completely.

Have a great day!

Szabolcs Király
Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
agree Oct 14, 2014

Dear Ricki,

Speaking as a dancer, I can confirm that these glossaries are useful; at least for the dance and the figures. You might need some basic musical terms too (rhythm, phrase etc. nothing complicated, I don't know how familiar are these for you). Just don't forget that musicians and dancers use "half time" and "double time" in the opposite way.

Kind regards,
Szabolcs

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 17, 2014

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your input! I'll take it from there

Have a nice weekend,
Ricki

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanted: Tango glossary/dictionary Spanish-English-German

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »