Thread poster: Nicholas Sturtevant
Nicholas Sturtevant
Nicholas Sturtevant  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Japanese to English
Nov 12, 2014

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend good resources (networks, individuals, websites) for translators interested in transcription work.

I've done some transcription work for my translation clients and I really enjoy it but I'm sure there are a lot of tips and tricks I'm missing out on.

I appreciate your time in advance!

-Nick

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Pay is less Nov 12, 2014

One disadvantage of transcription is that it pays much less than translation, so you would be best off dedicating your time and efforts to translation.

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
enjoyment Nov 13, 2014

I cannot comprehend why one actually enjoys transcription work, but to each his own.

I agree with Henry, it pays much less, and I find it very strenuous and enervating a task.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 18:18
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dictation in native language Nov 13, 2014

I have done a certain amount of transcription work, but don't find I am able to be particularly efficient, and hence, not terribly profitable.

As I only translate into my native language (EN), whilst all the transcription work involves of course aural comprehension of my source language (FR), I am creating an obstacle for myself from the outset. I never was terribly good at dictation in French.

So what I have done is teamed up with an excellent French native-speaking au
... See more
I have done a certain amount of transcription work, but don't find I am able to be particularly efficient, and hence, not terribly profitable.

As I only translate into my native language (EN), whilst all the transcription work involves of course aural comprehension of my source language (FR), I am creating an obstacle for myself from the outset. I never was terribly good at dictation in French.

So what I have done is teamed up with an excellent French native-speaking audio typist, with whom we have been able to establish a good workflow. Her hourly rate is much less than my own, plus of course she is much more productive than I could be — so it's a win/win situation!
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:18
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I understand you like transcription work Nov 13, 2014

especially if you are a fair typist it's quite enjoyable.
My only problem is that some files can be very hard to hear e.g. telephone interviews.
It's a good idea to check the quality of source files before you accept a job.

I use a foot pedal Infinity USB-2 and software Express Scribe PRO.

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2014-11-13 09:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-13 10:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-13 10:00 GMT]

Nicholas Sturtevant
Nicholas Sturtevant  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Resources for People Interested in Transcription Nov 13, 2014

Thanks Tony and Yetta for the leads/suggestions.

I wish there were a way to network with other people doing this kind of work. Maybe I'll just have to start my own group.

I'll definitely look into the workflows and products mentioned.

Mollie Milesi
Mollie Milesi  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:18
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
I really enjoy transcription Nov 13, 2014

I really enjoy transcription, when the audio is clear and the subject interesting.

I agree that it pays less than translation, but I find I learn more, about a wider variety of subjects, and with less stress. I find accents, language evolution and terminology fascinating, and like doing the modifications that turn oral language into a written code.

It's even possible for transcription to be relaxing under the right conditions.

I too use an Infinity foot pe
... See more
I really enjoy transcription, when the audio is clear and the subject interesting.

I agree that it pays less than translation, but I find I learn more, about a wider variety of subjects, and with less stress. I find accents, language evolution and terminology fascinating, and like doing the modifications that turn oral language into a written code.

It's even possible for transcription to be relaxing under the right conditions.

I too use an Infinity foot pedal (could not survive without it), the best earphones I could find (absolutely essential), a sound enhancing program and Express Scribe.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resources for People Interested in Transcription

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »