What is the difference between the two Collins Roberts 9th ed. Unabridged Fre/Eng Dictionaries?
Thread poster: Sarah Raymond
Sarah Raymond
Sarah Raymond
Canada
Local time: 15:23
French to English
Jan 13, 2015

Hello,
This is my first time posting so I apologize if I've done anything wrong.

I've been looking to buy a better French/English bilingual dictionary than the one I have now, and my search lead me to the 9th ed. Collins Robert French Unabridged Dictionary. According to Amazon, there is one published in 2010 and one published in 2012.

One (2010) is called the "complete and unabridged 9th ed." while the other (2012) is simply "unabridged." The covers are different
... See more
Hello,
This is my first time posting so I apologize if I've done anything wrong.

I've been looking to buy a better French/English bilingual dictionary than the one I have now, and my search lead me to the 9th ed. Collins Robert French Unabridged Dictionary. According to Amazon, there is one published in 2010 and one published in 2012.

One (2010) is called the "complete and unabridged 9th ed." while the other (2012) is simply "unabridged." The covers are different, but they are both roughly the same number of pages (the 2010 is slightly longer). I know you can't really tell anything about the content of a book by the number of pages it has, but given that there's no way to compare these two books in real life, it's the best I can do.

I've tried searching for the two books in Google to see if I could find any more information about them, but I've had no luck. The best thing I've come up with so far is that one of them might be British English and the other American, but I really have no idea.

Does anyone know what the difference is (if any) between these two dictionaries?

Thank you.

(P.S., some contextual information: I need a physical dictionary for tests at school because we're not allowed to use electronics. I'd personally prefer to use a software version, but unfortunately that is not an option.)
Collapse

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
One has free on-line access Jan 13, 2015

The Collins Robert gives UK and US/CA variants, so I don't think that's the difference. Also, the same edition can have several print runs, maybe that's the case here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the difference between the two Collins Roberts 9th ed. Unabridged Fre/Eng Dictionaries?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »