Jason Raff
Jason Raff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 26, 2015

Hi all,

I am working on localizing a document written in UK English on mechanical engineering and machined products (switches, clamps, knobs, etc.) for a US audience. It is geared towards professional mechanical engineers and machinists, and beyond the usual style and spelling changes, I need to make sure that all product names and industry terms are suitably localized for US professionals.

Do any of you savvy linguists know of any good resources specifically for compar
... See more
Hi all,

I am working on localizing a document written in UK English on mechanical engineering and machined products (switches, clamps, knobs, etc.) for a US audience. It is geared towards professional mechanical engineers and machinists, and beyond the usual style and spelling changes, I need to make sure that all product names and industry terms are suitably localized for US professionals.

Do any of you savvy linguists know of any good resources specifically for comparing UK vs US technical engineering terms? I suspect that many are international, but it's those sneaky ones that I can't let slip by!

Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:18
French to English
+ ...
On the job experience needed Mar 30, 2015

Quite honestly, I think this is the sort of job that needs to be tackled by a native US-EN mechanical engineer familiar with UK terminology too. There is far too much potential for error if the localisation is done by someone without that background, however good the resources they find.

Jason Raff
Jason Raff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Mar 30, 2015

Thanks BD. I'm actually subcontracting a consultant who is a professional ME, so got that covered. Just trying to keep costs down by doing as much personal research as possible. Appreciate the advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US vs UK Mechanical Engineering and Machining terms

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »