Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)
Thread poster: ibz
Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:18
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Better not Sep 15, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

I can often see human translators being invited to select the best entry for translation contests on ProZ. Can’t AI/GPT help with that, given ultimate praises and credits it received? It has unlimited powers, and it’s been given its place on ProZ, so it can select the best entry for every single language pair.

I just tried this with 2 language pairs both with GPT and Bard. Well, it does not work, both fail in the same manner.
Which just confirms these LLM are not focussed on language quality
but on conversation and general help/information as well as technical tasks.

Philip Lees
expressisverbis

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What else can we do? Sep 15, 2023

This is kind of getting absurd ...
Does anyone from the ProZ team even read this (and other) forum? Can we get a reaction? Still holding my breath, Philip!

Philip Lees
Alison MacG
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A facetious suggestion Sep 15, 2023

Next time, there’s a Translation Contest let’s send entries translated by ChatBPT in all languages...

Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Tanja Oresnik
Tom in London
Yasutomo Kanazawa
P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
One reason for having auto ChatGPT answers? Sep 15, 2023

ibz wrote:
It's supposed to be a website for professional translators and I honestly can't see any use of ChatGPT in KudoZ. Can you?

To basically copy/paste my own remark from elsewhere:

I think it's worth considering that if the site didn't use ChatGPT, other people would, and doubtless be a lot less open about the source of their answer.

I accept the points about it being a gimmick and the answers being rubbish, but in a sense, the site is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Just disagree with the rubbish answers, and it is then a public comment on ChatGPT's quality for others to learn from. More transparent than if the site had dozens of users posting ChatGPT responses without acknowledging the source, which would, I am sure, be the case otherwise.

Björn Vrooman
Jorge Payan

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:18
Greek to English
No impediment Sep 16, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I think it's worth considering that if the site didn't use ChatGPT, other people would, and doubtless be a lot less open about the source of their answer.

I accept the points about it being a gimmick and the answers being rubbish, but in a sense, the site is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Just disagree with the rubbish answers, and it is then a public comment on ChatGPT's quality for others to learn from. More transparent than if the site had dozens of users posting ChatGPT responses without acknowledging the source, which would, I am sure, be the case otherwise.

Charlie, I don't share your vision of users flooding Kudoz with MT suggestions. I've seen no evidence of this in my language pair and in fact I think it's rather insulting to the translators who frequent this site.

What's more, the problem with your argument is that having ChatGPT as an authorised contributor to ProZ offers no impediment at all to somebody who wants to post an alternative machine translated answer, either from a different MT engine, or from ChatGPT itself.

This is not any kind of justification for the introduction of this new "feature". And so we are still waiting.

ibz
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey

Björn Vrooman
Björn Vrooman
German to English
+ ...
Depends Sep 16, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

I don't share your vision of users flooding Kudoz with MT suggestions. I've seen no evidence of this in my language pair and in fact I think it's rather insulting to the translators who frequent this site.

Maybe not in yours, Philip, but I've definitely seen people (I guess there's still a person at the other end posting the output) doing it in mine.

Philip Lees wrote:
What's more, the problem with your argument is that having ChatGPT as an authorised contributor to ProZ offers no impediment at all...

That's a good point, though. But like "AI", the word "tool" seems to have been broadened in meaning to include any kind of option you might have at your disposal (whether helpful or not). I don't mind the ChatGPT feature, actually; what irritates me a bit is how it has been implemented. I hope I can find some time later to elaborate. Really liked your answer (covering this exact issue) in another thread but couldn't reply (I was told I strayed too far off topic).

Charlie Bavington

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Philip Sep 16, 2023

I’ll add that, at least in my language combinations, people who are not knowledgeable and so use GT, Deepl or any MT system to answer kudoz questions tend to disappear from Proz as quickly as they appeared…

expressisverbis
ibz
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
It's only an option... Sep 16, 2023

it's up to the asker to select it or not. I don't think ProZ are committing such a heinous crime...

Charlie Bavington
Philippe Etienne

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Giovanni Sep 16, 2023

It's not a crime but it's a nuisance and makes no sense on a website meant for professional translators. It's not our task to disagree with ChatGPT's rubbish answers to show other people that one can't trust them. KudoZ should be about discussing real translation problems with human beings - or that's what I always thought.
Why introduce such a feature?

What actually bothers me most is that there is no response from the ProZ team. As Lucia wrote in the other discussion:
... See more
It's not a crime but it's a nuisance and makes no sense on a website meant for professional translators. It's not our task to disagree with ChatGPT's rubbish answers to show other people that one can't trust them. KudoZ should be about discussing real translation problems with human beings - or that's what I always thought.
Why introduce such a feature?

What actually bothers me most is that there is no response from the ProZ team. As Lucia wrote in the other discussion:
«I hope you find this useful. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.»
An improvement would be to remove it

[Edited at 2023-09-16 12:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-09-16 12:34 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Alison MacG
Jennifer Levey
Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You can "murder" a translation... Sep 16, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

it's up to the asker to select it or not. I don't think ProZ are committing such a heinous crime...

No, it's not a heinous crime, and it's up to the asker, you are right.
On the other hand, you can "murder" a translation if you get a wrong answer and select it, and this can have serious consequences... for you and for your client.
Besides, I don't see the point of ChatGPT on Proz, when you can check it other than here.
In my humble opinion, ChatGPT can only be useful for trying to understand more complex concepts, not for translating.

Laurent Di Raimondo
Philip Lees

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 21:18
English to Russian
+ ...
More complex? Like what? Sep 16, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
In my humble opinion, ChatGPT can only be useful for trying to understand more complex concepts, not for translating

I already wrote a post about Chat doing some physics and mathematics. These fields have concepts that are more complex than those involved in translation (though the latter may be complex enough in my book), but my impression is that Chat cannot conceptualize anything complex, nor is it any good at helping people understand anything. Its vacuous truths and shameless lies can't produce understanding. This is an IMHO, too

[Edited at 2023-09-16 14:20 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Offense Sep 16, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I don't think ProZ are committing such a heinous crime...

Not a crime, but putting AI on an equal footing with human translators. No surprise that that did not go over well with so many members/users. What did they expect?

expressisverbis
Philip Lees
ibz
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Barbara Carrara
Fabio Descalzi

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
General reply... Sep 17, 2023

if colleagues select the option, it means they think it can be useful. Correct? So, why would ProZ remove an option which more and more translators seem to be using? I think you are barking at the wrong tree here...

Jorge Payan

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not a new idea Sep 17, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Next time, there’s a Translation Contest let’s send entries translated by ChatBPT in all languages...

I've done few translation contests, until...

Few years ago ago I spotted what was blatantly a "machine translated" entry into Serbian. I pointed out to contest organisers to the fact, but they ignored the warning. So I started ignoring the translation contests.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because … Sep 17, 2023

… of all the reasons mentioned in this and other threads. Anyone who’s keen on using ChatGPT for translation can do so on his or her own - it’s not forbidden and it’s not a feature that’s not available outside of KudoZ.
Turning your question around: Why would ProZ include an option that nobody explicitly demanded and that many professional translators/paying members don’t find useful at all?
Still waiting for an answer …

expressisverbis
Daryo
Philip Lees

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »